2 months ago 18

Vucic: It is important to start dialogue, this situation suits no one

BELGRADE - Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said on Monday evening that, due to the situation in the wake of the November 1 overhang collapse at the Novi Sad railway station, which left 15 people dead, it was very important to start dialogue because the current situation in society suited no one.

In a public address from the Palace of Serbia, Vucic said the invitation to dialogue was no sign of weakness.

"This situation in society suits no one and brings nothing to anyone in Serbia... ...We have been in some kind of interregnum, some kind of vacuum in which we are not talking to each other. Some talk about some demands, while others say the demands have been met, and they (the first group) say they have not," Vucic said.

He said prosecutors had indicted 13 people responsible for the Novi Sad tragedy.

"That is the same as the number of people indicted by Turkey for the 80 fatalities in the massive fire that, by the way, happened about ten days ago, unless I am mistaken," Vucic said.

"In the three months (since the tragedy), we kept hearing various accusations against state authorities, in the three months we kept hearing calls to topple the state, in the three months we heard many, many irresponsible statements not only by the opposition but also by us from the authorities, and an atmosphere that suits no one has been created in Serbia," Vucic said.

"I can talk about this having to do with special pressure groups as well as with certain media and politicians but, ultimately, it is the responsibility of all of us," he said.

Speaking about the demands of student protesters, Vucic said all documentation related to construction works at the Novi Sad railway station had been submitted for publication on the government website.

"We have literally submitted everything we have," he said.

Vucic also said prosecutors had launched criminal proceedings against 37 people for attacks on university students and professors during protests and that all 13 students and professors against whom proceedings had also been launched would be pardoned on Wednesday at the latest.

Read this article on source website