Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orbán have discussed deepening defence cooperation, while praising the strength of their countries' ties.
The close allies met in Budapest on Thursday, with the Hungarian government announcing — just hours after Netanyahu's arrival — its intention to leave the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Gergely Gulyás, the minister in charge of Orbán's office, said Hungary would initiate the termination procedure on Thursday.
The ICC issued an arrest warrant for the Israeli prime minister in November 2024 on suspicion of committing crimes against humanity in connection with his country's war in Gaza.
Shortly after the arrest warrant was issued, Viktor Orbán invited Netanyahu to Budapest, stating that he would not be arrested on Hungarian soil.
At their joint press conference in Budapest on Thursday, Orbán claimed the ICC was “no longer an impartial court, not a court of law, but a political court".
The Hungarian prime minister also reiterated his support for Israel in its war against Hamas in Gaza.
"No Hamas flags have been flown in Hungary, and they will not be flown in the future," Orbán said.
Hungary's leader emphasised the close ties between the countries, saying there are currently 150 Israeli companies in his country.
Orbán also stressed that Hungary has purchased a number of defence and military equipment from Israel.
In his remarks, Netanyahu spoke of his fondness for Hungary, a country he first visited in 1991.
Netanyahu also thanked Orbán for taking what he called a "bold and principled decision" against the ICC.
"This partnership, this friendship, today is unparalleled. May it grow even further, may it grow even stronger. Thank you, my friend, Viktor," he said.
It is only Netanyahu's second overseas trip since the ICC issued an arrest warrant against him. The first was to see US President Donald Trump in Washington earlier this year.
The Israeli leader also has an invitation to Germany from incoming Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who has previously criticised the ICC's actions against Netanyahu.
Hungary must send a written notification of its intention to withdraw to the UN secretary-general, and the withdrawal will take effect within a year of the notification.
Fad El-Abdullah, a spokesperson for the ICC, said that the court "recalls that Hungary remains under an obligation to cooperate with the ICC".