23 hours ago 5

Protests against Istanbul mayor's arrest morph into one-day shopping boycott

Protests that erupted across Turkey following the arrest of Istanbul's opposition mayor Ekrem İmamoğlu have taken on a new dimension with calls for a one-day shopping boycott.

The student groups behind the demand also urged businesses to shutter on Wednesday.

Large-scale anti-government protests began last month after the jailing of İmamoğlu who is regarded as the main political challenger to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s 22-year rule.

İmamoğlu faces corruption and terrorism charges that critics say are politically motivated but the government insists the judiciary is independent and free of political interference.

İmamoğlu's party - the Republican People's Party (CHP) – publicly supported the call for a commercial boycott.

"I invite everyone to join this boycott and use their power that comes from consumption," CHP party leader Özgür Özel said in a post on social media.

Özel had previously called for people to shun companies he claims support the government, particularly media firms that did not air footage of the mass protests that saw hundreds of thousands of Turks flood streets to call for İmamoğlu's release and an end to democratic backsliding.

The students' boycott call sparked a quick response from the government.

Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya called it "sabotage" and a "coup attempt against our economy," while Trade Minister Omer Bolat said companies that suffer financial losses would be able to file a claim for compensation against those calling for the boycott.

Bolat posted images of himself shopping on social media, alongside comments saying it was a "day of protecting the national economy."

The head of Turkey's broadcasting authority (RTÜK) announced possible action against news channels that publicised the boycott.

Last week, the authority issued a 10-day broadcasting ban for one opposition channel, as well as fines and program suspensions to others.

The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor's Office also launched a criminal investigation into the opposition’s boycott calls.

İmamoğlu, in a social media post from the prison where he has been held since 23 March, claimed that European politicians had started to cut ties with Turkey.

The European Commission cancelled its participation in the Antalya Diplomacy Forum, while European Commissioner for Enlargement Marta Kos said she has cancelled a meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan.

While in prison, İmamoğlu was confirmed as the CHP's presidential candidate in an election currently scheduled for 2028 but likely to take place earlier.

According to the independent ANKA News Agency, some 2,000 people have been detained since İmamoğlu was arrested on 19 March, with 316 jailed pending trial.

Most face charges relating to participating in protests.

Read this article on source website